Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

She becomes a he...!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 Papillon 0 Comments Category : , ,

I'm still baffled with these images.....

The project is called Sworn Virgins of Albania and was photographed by Jill Peters who visited the mountain villages of northern Albania to capture portraits of these "burneshas", females who have lived their lives as men for reasons related to their culture and society!

Many of these women assumed their male identities from an early age as a way to avoid the old codes that governed the tribal clans, which stated that women were the property of their husbands. (!!!!)

As "burneshas", or Sworn Virgins, these women have the freedom to vote, drive, conduct business, earn money, smoke, swear, etc, and their status is elevated. They are granted the rights and privileges of the male population, she becomes a he, and although these women gain freedom they also have to take a vow of celibacy.

I still can't believe some of these men are actually women!! I'm amazed... But truth be told, I think I would do the same thing, I mean who needs sex if you can drive and drink and vote and...wait?!?
What am I saying....?!?! 

Well, I will let the images speak for themselves!

More about Jill Peters here.
More about the Albanian Sworn Virgins there.











RELATED POSTS

0 comments