Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

The life of a single guy...

Monday, June 24, 2013 Papillon 0 Comments Category : , ,

After I told you about my first experience in the dating market since I'm single (here), I found myself on the other end of that conversation: how's the dating scene for a 30-something guy.

My new friend (I'm always surprise when I make new friends nowadays... I will have to write a post about this soon!) was telling me how he found my post funny and how he has a similar and yet different experience from me. 
So, what is it like for a 30-something guy?

First, I should clarify a couple of things: he's successful, he's good looking, he is educated and has several interests in music, books, film, art, etc and he's the proud father of three children. These said, he tells me he finds mainly two types of women:

- "I'm thirty and I want to have kids... NOW!!"

- "I've just ended a long relationship and I'm in serious need of some ego nurturing"

Hum... it got me thinking.
For one, I have to say, I don't find myself in any of these categories or profiles. Yes, maybe a little bit on the second one, but my ego is just fine, so no need for nurturing!

But, I see what he means, I really do. This is something that has been going around since women emancipated themselves. It comes a time when pretty much every woman on the planet starts hearing this ticking sound... it starts really low, then it gets stronger and one day your need to mate it's just unbearable! I believe this is why there are so many single/divorced parents nowadays, well... at least one of the reasons why!

As for the second profile, well rebound relationships have been around since... what? Ever? Frankly, I think this profile fits women and men alike. We all need a rebound every now and then, just someone to make us feel good about ourselves. Right?

At the end of the day, maybe the dating scene is filled with profiles and generalizations, that's a fact. And maybe we will stumble upon these profiles and, in turn, fit in some of them as well. 

The bottom line is this: the dating scene is challenging and difficult, more so as we get older. We are more demanding and we know what we want, which makes everything harder, not easier. We have been broken, we have been made whole again... And in this process we've learned to love and be loved, and to be sad, and angry, and desperate, and happy, really happy. 

My only hope is... after as many bad dates as one can get, we are bound to feel those butterflies again, right? Right?... 

Well, now I just hear crickets!!! ;)

xx



RELATED POSTS

0 comments