Harmony Clean Flat Responsive WordPress Blog Theme

How to handle bad news...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Papillon 0 Comments Category :

During my trip to Turkey I had several bad moments: rude people, bad hotels, horrible food, last minute changes, rude people and oh! Did I mention rude people?! In a country with so many contrasts and often described as trapped between West and East, I was expecting a little bit more of its people. I only  met nice people in the smallest cities - people are warm, welcoming, they want to know about you, even though they don't understand what you are saying. But with these people I spoke a different language, a language that came from within. In between smiles and gestures, we were able to communicate and I left with the fondest memories of these precious few.

While facing these bad moments, I tried my best to smile thinking "good moments don't always give the best stories!". And so I faced every obstacle, every bad second, with 10 deep breaths and a smile. It was tough, I admit,  but also enlightening. 
I've learned to take a step back, reconsider and mostly, to look at things in the right perspective.

Now, with all this new knowledge, I am facing some bad news and I am trying so hard to take a step back, but my feet just seem like they are weighing a ton! I really want to look at this setback and think that is not a big deal, but it is... let me tell you and maybe you can tell me I'm being childish! ;)

I've never traveled alone. Ever! On the verge of my 29th birthday, I decided it was high time to do it. I mean, when was the last time you did something for the first time? And so it was decided and with deep excitement I started to plan my solo trip. Three days in Madrid, a city I know well, where I have some friends if I don't feel like being alone, with two major exhibits I want to see. Perfect, right? Nicky and I could walk around the whole weekend, discovering Madrid from new perspectives. And I would spend my birthday there, by myself, which doesn't mean I'm sad, depressed, or anything like that. It just means I need some time with myself... That's another thing I discovered in Turkey... I need some "me" time, some time to really reconnect with myself again...

But today, still with that excitement, I checked my credit card bill and all my plans, my dream, came rolling down a big mountain... I won't be able to go. It's true I have a closet full of new things, but I won't be able to go...

I wish I could really look at this from some other perspective, one that is positive, but I'm failing to see the positive side. So, in light of all that I've learned, I find myself back at square one.

So... happy birthday to me, right?


RELATED POSTS

0 comments